BREAKING: Biden admin. announces new $1.1 Billion weapons package to Ukraine
— Breaking911 (@Breaking911) September 28, 2022
(U.S. State Dept.)
Today, the Department of Defense (DoD) announced approximately $1.1 billion in additional security assistance for Ukraine under the Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative (USAI). This USAI package underscores the U.S. commitment to continuing to support Ukraine over the long term. It represents a multi-year investment in critical capabilities to build the enduring strength of Ukraine’s Armed Forces as it continues to defend Ukraine’s sovereignty and territory in the face of Russian aggression.
Unlike Presidential Drawdown Authority (PDA), which DoD has continued to leverage to deliver equipment to Ukraine from DoD stocks at a historic pace, USAI is an authority under which the United States procures capabilities from industry. This announcement represents the beginning of a contracting process to provide additional priority capabilities to Ukraine in the mid- and long-term.
- 18 High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems (HIMARS) and associated ammunition;
- 150 Armored High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicles (HMMWVs);
- 150 Tactical Vehicles to tow weapons;
- 40 trucks and 80 trailers to transport heavy equipment;
- Two radars for Unmanned Aerial Systems;
- 20 multi-mission radars;
- Counter-Unmanned Aerial Systems;
- Tactical secure communications systems, surveillance systems, and optics;
- Explosive ordnance disposal equipment;
- Body armor and other field equipment;
- Funding for training, maintenance, and sustainment.
In total, the United States has now committed approximately $16.9 billion in security assistance to Ukraine since January 2021. Since 2014, the United States has committed approximately $19 billion in security assistance to Ukraine more than $16.2 billion since the beginning of Russia’s unprovoked and brutal invasion on February 24.
Through both PDA and USAI, DoD continues to work with Ukraine to meet both its immediate and longer-term security assistance needs. Together with our Allies and partners, our unified efforts will help Ukraine continue to be successful today while building the enduring strength of Ukraine’s forces to ensure the continued freedom and independence of the Ukrainian people.