President Donald Trump’s re-election campaign has agreed to former Vice President Joe Biden‘s proposal to delay the second presidential debate so that they can be held in person, following President Trump refusing Thursday morning to participate in what was supposed to be a virtual town hall debate next week.
“The American people should not be deprived of the chance to see the two candidates for president debate face to face two more times just because the Commission of Presidential Debates wants to protect Joe Biden,” Trump campaign manager Bill Stepien said in the statement.
“As President Trump said, a virtual debate is a non-starter and would clearly be a gift to Biden because he would be relying on his teleprompter from his basement bunker,” Stepien continued. “Voters should have the opportunity to directly question Biden’s 47-year failed record of leadership. We agree that this should happen on October 22, and accordingly, the third debate should then be shifted back one week to October 29.”
The second presidential debate features the candidates answering direct questions from undecided voters. Because of President Trump contracting COVID-19 last week, the CPD announced that the debate would instead be virtual to prevent him from spreading the virus. As mentioned before, Trump vehemently opposed this format change.
The Biden campaign had asked the CPD to move the second debate to October 22. However, they have rejected the request of Trump’s team to hold the third one on October 29.
This agreement between the two campaigns puts to rest the uncertainty about how the candidates would go about campaigning for the remaining 26 days until the election.
You can follow Douglas Braff on Twitter @Douglas_P_Braff.