House Republicans on ‘Offense’: NRCC Chair Tom Emmer Targets 10 More Districts to Take Back House

Rep. Tom Emmer (R-MN) said Tuesday that the National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC) will expand their list of target Democrat-controlled districts in their mission to take back the House majority.

The NRCC released its increased list of districts to target after the U.S. Census Bureau announced many swing and Democrat-leaning districts will lose a congressional seat. The reapportionment data will reshape the makeup of congressional districts in a way that could create an opening for Republicans to flip enough districts to take back the House majority during the 2022 midterm elections.

Emmer said that Republicans continue to play on offense now that Democrats have to defend their “socialist” agenda.

“Republicans are on offense all across the country,” Emmer said in a statement Tuesday. “Every House Democrat is facing an uphill battle having to defend their toxic socialist agenda that prioritizes trillion-dollar tax hikes on the middle class, opens our borders, closes our schools and defunds the police.”

The new targeted districts include:

  1. Rep. Ami Bera (D-CA)
  2. Rep. Jim Costa (D-CA)
  3. Rep. Raul Ruiz (D-CA)
  4. Rep. Marie Newman (D-IL)
  5. Rep. Dan Kildee (D-MN)
  6. Rep. Kathleen Rice (D-NY)
  7. Rep. Paul Tonko (D-NY)
  8. Rep. Joe Morelle (D-NY)
  9. Rep. Brian Higgins (D-NY)
  10. Rep. Chrissy Houlahan (D-PA)

Republicans announced plans to target 47 Democrats representing battleground districts, Democrats that underperformed compared to the 2020 presidential ballot, and those that may be impacted by redistricting.

Further compounding Democrats’ problems, several Democrats have announced that they will either retire or seek higher office.

Rep. Cheri Bustos (D-IL), a former Democrat Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) chair and a top ally of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), announced last week that she will not seek reelection.

Reps. Conor Lamb (D-PA) and Tim Ryan (D-OH) reportedly plan to run for higher office and Reps. Ann Kirkpatrick (D-AZ) and Filemon Vela (D-TX) intend to retire.

An NRCC poll released in April found that Republicans are projected to win back the House.

The survey said in battleground districts, 54 percent want a “Republican who will be a check-and-balance to Nancy Pelosi and the Democrats’ agenda in Congress.”

Sean Moran is a congressional reporter for Breitbart News. Follow him on Twitter @SeanMoran3.

Source

Report: Democrat Congressman Spent $30,000 On Travel While Urging New Yorkers To Stay Home

New York Democrat Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney, the chair of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, instructed his constituents to halt travel due to COVID-19 while he spent tens of thousands on travel expenses of his own, according to a report from The Washington Free Beacon.

In March 2020, Maloney stopped accepting petition signatures “out of concern for the safety and wellbeing” of New Yorkers. Shortly after, he told people in his state to “stop spreading this virus” and “stay home.”

“We can all do our part. Stay at home,” Maloney said at the time. “Don’t go out if you don’t need to, minimize your contact with other people. If a member of your family is sick, the whole family’s got to stay home so we don’t go spread it. That’s why having some groceries in the house to last a week or two is important.”

Despite instructing his constituents to remain at home, the Democrat splurged tens of thousands of dollars for travel-related expenses. He ran up $29,000 on “ground transportation” in addition to “automobile expenses.” $20,000 was allocated for insurance and lease fees, over $3,600 on collision-related repairs, over $2,000 for gasoline, $2,100 for car rentals, and an estimated $500 on satellite radio — financial disclosures obtained by the Free Beacon show.

The Free Beacon found that Maloney’s splurge was highly unusual. Rep. Antonio Delgado, D-N.Y., works in a region six times larger than Maloney’s 18th Congressional District. Delgado, who represents the 19th district, had no transportation-related disclosures in the fiscal year of 2020. U.S. campaign finance laws prohibit candidates from using money for personal travel expenses.

The office of Rep. Maloney did not answer calls from The Federalist.

Foundation for Accountability and Civic Trust executive director Kendra Arnold told the Free Beacon Maloney’s financial disclosures raise “red flags.”

“Without having any in-person campaigning, you wouldn’t expect there to be a lot of expenses,” Arnold said. “Candidates don’t have to link [disbursements] to a specific corresponding event, so of course anything could be made up. We generally look for spending that isn’t in the realm of a candidate in the same state or in a similar-sized district.”

Since 2012, Maloney’s campaign has reportedly spent upwards of $130,000 on car expenses. Maloney was sued in 2018 by Zephyr Teachout, a former candidate for the House in New York’s 19th district, after transferring $1.4 million in federal dollars to his campaign. Several ethics complaints were also filed.

Maloney failed to disclose several stock trades amounting to more than $11,000 in a timely fashion last month.

Source

Cheri Bustos Announces Retirement From Congress After Leading House Democrats To Defeat In November

Illinois Democrat Congresswoman Cheri Bustos announced Friday she will not run for re-election next year after serving a decade in the lower chamber.

“Today, I’m announcing I will not seek reelection after completing this term,” Bustos said in a video statement. “I feel it’s time for a new voice.”

Bustos, the voice who chaired the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) last cycle lost the Democrats 15 seats in November, putting Republicans just five seats away from reclaiming the House majority in the next election cycle. The president’s party historically fares poorly in the new administration’s first midterms. Democrats expected gains rather than losses last fall.

[embedded content]

“As for the next chapter, it will always be my goal to think big and deliver results,” Bustos said, revealing no details for future plans. “In time, I’ll share more on where that will take me.”

The congresswoman representing northwest Illinois had already resigned from her position leading the DCCC.

According to Politico, Bustos wrote to colleagues days after the election she was “gutted at the losses we sustained” in a letter declaring her decision to not seek another term as chair of the party’s House campaign arm.

“Cheri Bustos made the right decision to retire rather than face defeat in 2022,” National Republican Congressional Committee Spokesman Mike Berg said in a statement following Friday’s announcement.

Bustos’ upcoming exit puts Illinois’ 17th Congressional District in play next year with no incumbent with a D+3 rating on the Cook Partisan Voter Index, a moderate score. President Barack Obama carried the district handily in 2012 by 17 points, while President Donald Trump captured it in 2016 by less than one.

Source

Fact Check: Democrats Launch Ads Falsely Accusing Republicans of Backing QAnon

The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) falsely attacked several House Republicans in a series of ads launched Tuesday, claiming that the House GOP members backed the QAnon conspiracy theory.

The DCCC, the campaign arm of the House Democrats, launched a half-million-dollar television and digital ad campaign accusing Republicans of “standing with Q and now with you.” This is the DCCC’s first ad buy of the 2022 congressional midterm cycle.

The ad buys feature footage of the January 6 D.C. riots.

The ads target Reps. Mike Garcia (R-CA), Young Kim (R-CA), Michelle Steel (R-CA), Maria Elvira Salazar (R-FL), Don Bacon (R-NE), Brian Fitzpatrick (R-PA), Beth Van Duyne (R-TX), and House Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA).

This ad attacks Garcia:

[embedded content]

The ad claims the members’ two votes against former President Donald Trump’s second impeachment amounts to support for QAnon.

However, Garcia, Bacon Fitzpatrick, and McCarthy all voted last October to condemn QAnon.

Kim, Steel, Salazar, and Van Duyne were elected last November, so they did not have the opportunity to vote to condemn QAnon when the October vote arose.

The ads also call the members cowards for voting to “protect” Trump, even though Garcia is a decorated United States naval officer, Bacon served in the Air Force for nearly 30 years and retired as a brigadier general, and Fitzpatrick supported counterterrorism efforts and embedded with the U.S. Special Forces as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC) spokesman Mike Berg told Breitbart News in a statement Tuesday the DCCC continues to spend money on “ineffective” ads while lying about Republicans and their military service.

“These ads will be as ineffective as the $345 million the DCCC lit on fire the last cycle,” Berg said. “But it’s still important to note that the DCCC is blatantly lying about members who have condemned QAnon, and that they are smearing multiple veterans to score political points.”

Sean Moran is a congressional reporter for Breitbart News. Follow him on Twitter @SeanMoran3.

Source