September 28, 2022
Asheville, NC – Moms Across America announces a nationwide project measuring pesticides, heavy metals, veterinary drugs, hormones and nutrient test results of 43 school lunches gathered from public schools in 15 states in the United States. The initiative was conducted by Moms Across America – mothers, fathers and students who gathered school lunch samples. The testing was funded by Moms Across America supporters and Children’s Health Defense.
Moms Across America Director Zen Honeycutt stated:
“These test results of the school lunches show us that we have a national crisis on our hands. Our government is allowing our children to be poisoned with a shocking number of toxins that contribute to various health, behavioral and learning issues. In addition, the nutrient density of the food is almost completely deficient, leaving our children’s bodies starving for nutrients, unable to develop properly and lacking nutrients that their brains need to learn and make sound decisions. If our government cares about America remaining a superpower and a prosperous nation, it must immediately take action to supply organically grown, nutrient-dense food to our nation’s children.”
The results show that the food America’s children eat at school is unsafe, toxic and low in nutrients:
- Of the 43 school items tested, 41, or 95.3%, had detectable levels of glyphosate weed killer, the most widely used herbicide in the world, a known carcinogen.
- The highest level of glyphosate and AMPA (AMPA is glyphosate’s breakdown and can be even more toxic) were found in a beef taco with soft tortilla at 286.77 ng/g and in pizza at 156.14 ng/g.
- 28 of the 43 school meal samples, or 65.1%, contained wheat ingredients.
- 100% of the wheat products were positive with glyphosate, averaging 42.09 ng/g.
- The average level of glyphosate in pizza was 154.51 ng/g.
Several items had very high glyphosate levels, well above 25 ng/g, which, according to animal studies, would be expected to be harmful when consumed consistently, along with other items containing glyphosate. Glyphosate has been shown to be carcinogenic, endocrine disrupting, damaging to sperm and reproductive organs, causing nervous system damage and causing liver and kidney disease.
We also tested for 220 of the most egregious pesticides:
- 74% of the school lunch samples contained at least one of the harmful pesticides.
- 29 different types of pesticides were present in 74% of the school lunches.
- Thiabendazole, an immune suppressant, was found in 27.9% of the samples.
- Piperonal Butoxide, a developmental toxin that causes birth defects and neurodevelopment disruptions, was in 41% of the samples.
- Pyrimethanil, which causes thyroid tumors in animals, was detected at 595.04 ppb on an apple.
Veterinary drugs, hormones and heavy metals in school lunch food are also at alarming levels:
- 4 Veterinary drugs and hormones were found in 9 school lunch samples at levels up to 130.76 ng/g.
- 100% of the school lunch samples contained heavy metals at levels up to 6,293 X higher than the EPA’s maximum levels allowed in drinking water.
- The majority of the samples were abysmally low in nutrients.
Without proper nutrients in food, children will not develop properly and be able to think, learn and act to their fullest potential. Proper nutrition can be instrumental in reducing and preventing learning disorders and violent behavior. Safe, non-toxic, nutrient-dense food is essential for the health of our children and the future of our nation. America should invest in healthy, safe nutrition for every child in our public schools.
The results are being released the same day as the White House is holding the first National Nutrition Conference in 50 years. It is Moms Across America’s intention that the leaders of this nation address the issue of toxic agrochemical use in the food supply and its impact on nutrient density, human health and our children.
For more information, see the full report.
# # #
Children’s Health Defense is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Our mission is to end childhood health epidemics by working aggressively to eliminate harmful exposures, hold those responsible accountable and establish safeguards to prevent future harm. For more information or to donate to CHD’s ongoing lawsuits, visit ChildrensHealthDefense.org.
Sign up for free news and updates from Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. and the Children’s Health Defense. CHD is implementing many strategies, including legal, in an effort to defend the health of our children and obtain justice for those already injured. Your support is essential to CHD’s successful mission.